Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer

We are in the swing of our summer schedule. We work heritage camps every other week and on the other weeks, attend a group playdate. We enjoy outings like a local splash-pad, reading at the park and going the zoo. It is a wonderful time for the mom's to catch up... everyone knows that playdates are not really for the kids!
I would like to add, just in case you were thinking of inviting me to a zoo playdate, I have my exceeded my yearly limit for visiting the zoo. We have been twice, my limit is once. Once is more than enough for me. We should have been three times because last week one of the outings for Vietnam camp was at the zoo, but I just could not drag myself to that place again, so we played hookie. Playing hookie is very unlike me too, but again, just could not wrap my mind around going to that place again. Maybe when I don't have to push two tired children on a stroller that weighs more than I do for miles, I will feel different.

We love our neighbors... the last two days all the kids have come over to our house to play and have popsicles. We have been in looove with making our own! Mom's seriously, make your own. It's fun. The kids love them. And they are healthier.
Making a friends train. I am like their mama telling them how to act and disciplining them when they argue. I wonder what they think about me and what they tell their parents. They keep comin' around though, adding to my theory that kids really do like parameters. (P.S. that is a weird word, parameters- you know, to give structure and rules to follow, para meters. What is up with that word combo, word expert, R Fisher?)
These popsicles were made with 2 cups orange juice, 4 cutie oranges and one jello island pineapple packet. Blend up, pour and put in freezer. Or you can add yogurt, any fruit and blend. Or you can just cut up fruit, stick it in and cover it with juice. We prefer the blended types. And they don't know all the goodies and variety of fruits I pack in those puppies.
I let them play for a while today without hats or sunblock. This is extremely unusual for me... but after 30 mins or so they were red already so I pulled out the hats. I was too lazy to put sunblock on them at 6 at night.
As cute as the cutie oranges he is eating in that popsicle.
Headed home.
Ok, not quite home, one more stop in the backyard and to finish up dessert.
Adoption News:
We have a four day visit with Miss K this weekend. An update about her is that we found out the meaning of her unique name. It is a Native American word that means "Beautiful". So from now on, we shall call our daughter Beautiful. I will not be able to use Beautiful's name until she is legally adopted. Which will not be until she has lived with us for 6 months. You can ask me in person or over email, but I cannot share pictures or her legal name on our blog.

We finalized our plans... she will stay with us every other week for the rest of the summer and her official move in date to our home is July 31st. We will then transition into homeschooling MWF and attending a local academy for electives on T/Th such as band, theater, typing, etc.

We will continue to update you after each visit!

We are working Dillon's Heritage camps this summer.... India, China and Korea camps. Avi Joy will be a camper this year. This will be my fifth year to be the nursery coordinator for the camps. I started when we began the process of adoption in 2005 and have loved being a part of something as amazing as heritage camps. I believe in the vision of these camps. I know they bring security and self-esteem to each child. Getting to learn about their birthland through dance, song, food, dress, language and playing with other children who were born in their same country and have a forever family that looks like their own is invaluable.
Nehemiah will be with me in my room and Beautiful will not be attending as the weeks she is here are not the weeks of camp. But again, super excited for Joy Joy to be a camper and meet friends born in every part of the world. I know she will love it.

And in closing. Made. The. Best. Meal. Ever! I have to share...

The ingredients:
2 TB dried minced onions
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed small
1 (8-oz.) bottle sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil (the oil is used in the recipe, so don't drain)
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2-1 tsp Cajun seasoning, depending on your taste, don't leave it out, it needs the salt
1 lb. penne pasta, cooked as directed on package and drained (it was about half my box)

Directions:
Drain oil from sundried tomatoes into a large skillet. Chop the tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.(I want to add that next time, I might go ahead and try putting the whole jar with tomatoes and oil into my food processor to chop it up a bit finer.)
Heat skillet and saute onions, garlic, pepper, cajun seasoning and chicken breasts in the oil from the sundried tomatoes. Add the sundried tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes. Add half and half. Stir well and simmer 5 minutes more. Add Parmesan. Stir until well combined. Pour over cooked and drained pasta and stir until combined.
HEAVEN I tell you!
I had two bowls, Nehemiah had two bowls, Avi Joy had 3 bowls!!! Adam was out of town, lucky me for leftovers : )

"How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
"Your God reigns!"
Isaiah 52:7

The Perryman's

2 comments:

Nadra said...

Oh girl...I am so happy for your family. Can't wait to meet Beautiful!!! Looking forward to seeing you next weekend at India Camp.

Rhonda said...

You're so funny! As soon as I started to read the part where you were dissecting the word "parameters", I was intrigued and wanted to know more...before I even saw that you called me out on it!
So, I googled it, and it seems that it is a purely mathematical/scientific term...which is WAY beyond my typical realm of understanding. The definitions I found all had words like "constant" and "variable" and "equation" and "coordinates". Very confusing.
I think people (including me) tend to get it mixed up with the word perimeter. Well...THAT'S way more than you wanted to know, huh?

In a less ramble-ish note, I'm very, very excited to hear about all the family fun you are going to have in the coming weeks with Beautiful.