Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vietnam Day Seven

We had a short break after the night train/hotel check in. We ate breakfast, then loaded into the van and headed to Birla orphanage. There are 110 kiddos at Birla and they said 40 more will be arriving this summer.
We broke up into groups and played with the children. We played frisbee, made animal balloons and painted nails. I was on the nail team. The girls either had the longest most beautiful nails or bit them down to the cuticle.
We left Birla and walked to lunch. Here is a typical yellow and green Hanoi building. We have been told that the printed phone numbers are spaces/apt's for rent.
Family style lunch. Both teams: Natasha, Angela, Lois, Kaitlyn, Kris, Chris, Joedon, Jill, Rick, Diep, Annie, Alex, Huong, Kanyon, Nathan, Nick, Dawn and Tra.
Then we headed over to another orphanage, SSIII. It is both a home for the elderly and for orphans. Dawn gave this Ba her necklace.
We all made a bee line for the baby room. Jill holding Quan.
Dawn holding a little girl. She was a preemie and is still a peanut at 10 months old.
Lois rocked a baby to sleep.
Rick and a baby playing with a Santa toy.
I loved and kissed on baby Hai. She rested over my leg for a long time while I scratched her back.
For those who have followed our journey with Avi Joy... this looks so much like her first bath picture!
Baby Hai. Let's pray that Vietnam signs the Hague Agreement quickly so that US/VN adoptions can resume and that all these babies will find forever homes.
Anthropology. Everywhere you walk in Hanoi you see Anthropology... Old green boards, iron doors, rusted pots, mom and I should be buyers for them. HA.
As many of you know, there are no seatbelt laws (that we could see) or laws against babies/toddlers riding your bike with you. Every few bikes that passed by would have wee-ones holding on tight as their parent zoomed though the street.
I noticed these helmets with an upside down U shape cut out in the back. I could not figure out what it was until this gal flew by. It is for your pony-tail! After we saw her, we noticed many other ladies with their ponytails sticking out of their helmets.
We came upon a stall selling stationary and cards. When we asked her how much the cards were, she pulled out her price list along with a sign that she was deaf. My mom knows sign language and as it turns out, Vietnamese people use ASL or ESL (signs the same, spellings are different). They were able to communicate and it was a joyful moment for all of us.
A wedding party taking professional pictures around the lake.
This one is for my dad. Today at Birla we let the kids have stickers. I knew that one girl was behind me touching my back. When I took my shirt off tonight, she had put smily face stickers on my shirt : )

Tomorrow will be our last day in country before we start our 2 day journey home.

"His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day." Ps 91:4-5

NHP

1 comment:

Susie said...

I'm a day behind reading. But as soon as I got to the orphanage pictures, tears poured from my eyes. As hard as it is raising two by myself, I'd do it all over again. Continuing to pray that adoptions resume in a safe way! Thanks Natasha for letting me get a glimpse of your trip! Susie