Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Vietnam Day Two

Overnight we rode the night train from Ha Noi to Lao Cai. We arrived about 5am in the morning (Tuesday). We were the last ones to leave the station and the view of the train under the setting moon was spectacular.
Although the view might have been amazing, the squatty potty's on the train with no toilet paper was not so much.
Ladies were up early and had their carts filled with fruit, noodle soup and beef skewers for breakfast.
We checked into our hotel and all took a morning nap. Jet lag got the best of the team as nearly everyone could not sleep on the train past 3am, so we were tired!
They gave us about 2 hours of free time and so my mom and I called the desk to see about a massage. They sent two girls to our room and they gave us a pounding. We wouldn't call it an American type massage, more a thumping, beating, punching, putting icy-hot all over your body type of massage, but after 4 days of travel, it served its purpose and helped us feel better. They gave us a 90 minute massage for $15 dollars. Praise Be!

Then we loaded into the van and made our way up the mountain to give water buffalo to the Bac Ha farmers. They grow rice on the terrace plains and they also grow corn. Water buffalo are essential to their farming and they also use the milk, hides and bones.

It was really chilly so we had on many layers! Breathtakingly peaceful.
We walked 2 miles up the mountain to visit one farmer and then 2 miles back down. This little granny was making her way down the rocky road, I wonder where she was headed...?
I remember in 2006 when we visited Sa Pa (A neighboring province of Lao Cai/Bac Ha) that the clouds would settle over the mountains and it would look foggy. Today was no exception to that as it was mostly cloudy and at one time we could barely see to drive.
Mom decided to rent a bike, she was up that mountain in a jiffy. Just teasing.
We took a tour of one farmers home. The village houses are made from wood slats and have one light bulb inside. No heating, air, running water or bathrooms. This was the family kitchen and you heat the large bowl with a fire from underneath.

My favorite time of the day... stopping to give candy and take pictures of the village children. This little four year old girl was watching her infant brother while her mom worked in the field. Such joy she had. It was fun to show the kids their picture right after we took it.
Two year old little girl, she is one of eleven children. Wanted to scoop her right up!
Oh this is too funny. This little MESS, was truly as mess x2. He was sitting on the ground covered in dirt and he had a little don't-mess-with-me-attitude to boot.
Crossing over the bridge to get back to our van.
For dinner we went to Sa's home, he is a GVI employee. His wife cooked some crazy good Viet food for us. Rice, pineapple pork, sesame chicken, potato soup, whole chicken, sauces and watermelon. Apparently we get to eat there every night, yummy. We ate outside on the patio of their home and it was cold. We decided beforehand that we would bundle up tight and the good food and conversation would keep us warm!

We start our murals tomorrow and I was reminded in Ex 31:6 about why we even have the opportunity to create murals, "I (the Lord) have given wisdom and ability to make all that I have commanded you." He has given us this ability and commissioned us to do it.

NHP

8 comments:

Cathy Fry said...

Hey Tasha & Angela. Loving your blogs and following along on your trip. Stay safe and have a great time. We will talk when you get home.

Love you!!

Cathy

goldenruhl said...

What an awesome journey so far!!!! This is such a great experience...I'm glad you're doing this together!!! XO

Unknown said...

I really want to leave a more profound comment, but really...a 90-minute massage for $15???? Amazing. And those kiddos, oh my heart. Precious. I love how colorfully they dress. Keep these posts comin' mama!

Jessica said...

Than you for blogging! Ah yes, a Vietnamese Message. I remember well being better to a blissful pulp in Ninh Thuan!

I am praying for you and your team daily!

Rhonda said...

Loving these updates and I'm preparing myself for my day with your family! Yay for both of us!

Cori's Soon to be Family! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I read this post yesterday but I can't stop thinking about "how in the world does one aim at that tiny hole on a moving train?"

I am totally fine with squatty potties but that looks like mission impossible, lol

Anonymous said...

Of course, I loved the description of the massage you and your mom got. 90
mins for $15. And before publishing this I looked down and saw I just said (basically) what Amy Williams said! Ha!