Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day One

ALL TRAVEL AND DAY ONE PICTURES

We found the Dillon staff at the airport, we were all smiles.
We arrived in HCMC to celebrate the New Year.  Most people were off today so the streets were full of people hanging out with friends, eating on the sidewalks and shopping.
We went to Ryo Restaurant for lunch and had Adam's favorite, Japanese food. 
Speaking of that food note, San Fran was a great airport, lots of internationals. The thing that made us laugh was the Japanese people eating hamburgers-fries and we were eating Japanese food. Everywhere you turned there were groups of people, every shade that God has made.
Woman's waffle stand...
It was about 90 degrees and I here I enjoyed a coconut shake. They took a real coconut, poured in the juice and mixed with some kind of ice creamish stuff. Perfectly refreshing.
We walked through the streets before heading to the Tax center to do some shopping. I became completely pampered when I showed them my list of Ao Doi's I was going to buy. I picked out what I wanted and they ran, literally, to get the right size for me.
We accomplished buying Vietnamese Ao Doi's... three for Avi Joy, three for Nehemiah and as sent by Jamie and Heather, four for Luke and three for Heather. It was great and the ao doi's are handsome/beautiful.



We then headed back to our hotel and fell asleep N- around 6pm, Adam by 8pm. We slept great and do not feel jet lag at all!!!
We think the key was not sleeping for 2 days. We woke up on Tuesday at 6am to get ready and we arrived in VN Thursday afternoon. During the whole journey I slept for a sporadic 3 hours and Adam about 6 hours. We were not tired though, running on adrenaline I guess. But that helped our clocks flip perfectly.
Two things finally gave out for both of us. Our backs said- stop! They were so achey and needed to rest, but the funny one that completely gave out was my eyelids. Once I laid down I literally could not get them to open. They were always busy, reading and watching movies being forced to stay open, then they just refused.
This is the view from our our hotel.

We are going to have breakfast with Thomas this morning. He will not be accompanying us to Can Tho and we wanted the staff to see all the Can Tho pictures we brought from all the other families. Six families whose children were born in Can Tho sent us photo albums of their children for the nannies to see and keep. They are just precious and I know will be greatly appreciated. We are also sending one to Avi Joy's nannies in Ninh Thuan and one to be kept on file at the People's Committee for her birthmother if she wants to pick it up.
We are off to enjoy day two!
"This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
With much love,
Adam and Natasha
(we have no idea why the text is a link?? sorry)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, not fair... 90 degrees. We wish we had some of that here. We are off to bed. Looks like a wonderful place. miss you, mom

www.beyond blessed.com said...

Ok I have to admit seeing those pics makes my heart ache a little. I miss that beautiful country. I am so happy for you both!

Heather said...

Girl, you know I'm jealous. Got your email, but thought I would just leave a comment instead. Hope you are reading them. Thanks for picking up Sarah's Ao Dois. Also, I have space in my kitchen for a painting, so if you find one that would look great in there it would be fantastic. Otherwise, just find a beautiful one and I'll find a place for it. I haven't called Adam's mom yet about coordinating pick-up on that Monday, but I will and we are looking forward to Avi Joy coming over. We will also have the webcam set up by then. Tell Thomas hello.

Julie said...

Makes miss HCMC all over again. We loved it there.

Nadra said...

I'm so jealous...wish I was there with you. We loved HCM. Have fun. Can't wait to hear more and see more tomorrow. Lots of love!!

Unknown said...

Oh I am so excited for you! We have such great memories from our trip. Please tell Minh hello from the Brodts. I can't wait to read more!

Daniel and Jamie said...

Yay! Thanks so much for picking those up for Luke! Our computer is down at home so I may have to start making a daily trek to the church to check things out!
I am also jealous. Enjoy your trip and the wonderful breakfast at the Rex. :)
Can't wait to meet Nehemiah when you get home!

Chuck and Jean Anne said...

That picture of Minh...Thomas and Adam warms my heart.